Thursday, October 08, 2009

Cued for Greatness

From beating his own brother to win his first title to trouncing nine-time and defending champion Mike Russell to become the new World Professional Billiards Champion, Pankaj Advani has obviously picked the right cues. The undisputed king of the green baize in an exclusive interview with Satish Chapparike….

At 6, you lost your father. At 11, you first held the cue in your hand. At 24, you are World Champion. What does it feel like?

Yeah, I’ve been through much more in 24 years than many people would in their entire lifetime, but I’m not complaining! Snooker and Billiards have filled many voids in my life.

What made you turn to the green baize? Can you recall the initial days when you first took the cue from your brother Shree?

I used to follow Shree and his friends to the pool parlour near our house. Since there is a 7-year age difference between us, I was treated like a baby by them. I was around ten then. I used to sit and watch them play – that is how I first learned the game. Then one day I asked Shree to let me try a shot. At my first attempt, I potted the red ball. Since then, there has been no looking back.

Tell us about your mother and brother – the two people who have shaped your personal and professional life…

Like I mentioned, Shree introduced me to the game. Without him I doubt if I’d have taken up the cue. Plus he is my mental coach. Billiards is as much a game of the mind as it is of precision and hand-eye coordination. At present Shree is doing a Ph.D in Sports Psychology and wants to help other sports persons too. As for mom, she has played the multiple roles of father, mother and friend to perfection. I can talk to her about anything under the sun. We share a very close bond.

Have cue sports got an elitist reputation, or can anyone hope to cut it? What is your advice to youngsters who wish to follow in your footsteps?

Billiards and Snooker can be made accessible to kids from all strata of society if parlours are allowed to operate without heavy licence fees, etc. Then they can cut down on their table fees. Plus, schools and colleges can put up tables in their premises. Recently, Karnataka State Billiards Association (KSBA) gifted world-class tables to a few schools and colleges in Bangalore. The response to the game was amazing. Such gestures from other clubs and the corporate houses would bring the game within reach of everyone.

Do you think you and other sports persons have got a raw deal compared to say, cricket?

Till now, the government of India has honoured me with the Arjuna Award, the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and the Padmashree Awards. So the recognition is satisfactory. In the past, the scene was really sad. Now I see a shift in the attitude of the media and things are definitely getting better.

If you are comparing cricket to cue-sports, then yes, it seems unfair. But we should take a lesson from the BCCI and market our sports aggressively like they do. Let’s learn from them instead of whining. I always believe there is enough space for all sports to coexist.


According to you, what is the solution for the redemption of other sports in India?

I feel each sport should be adopted by a big corporate. It should be nurtured by them – treat it as a socio-national responsibility. As an incentive, the government can give them some tax sops. Stipends and jobs can be given to deserving sports persons. I joined ONGC when I was 18. They have given me three promotions because of my performance and that really gives us a fillip. Schools must encourage sports.

Which was the tougher final of your life – beating your own brother Shree in that first tournament or beating nine time world champion Mike Russell at Leeds?

Beating Shree was tougher – emotionally, at least!

Describe your win at Leeds. Did it look tough, or did everything go according to plan?

It seemed like a scripted win. Everything went according to plan. I did not take my foot off the pedal because I knew how dangerous Mike could be. Incidentally, this is the first time we have played one another.

After winning the Championship, you said, “I am now at peace with myself”. Could you elaborate?

Even after winning six world titles before this, my critics would deride my achievements and say that I had not won the Professional Billiards title.

Now that I have won it, I won’t have to hear all that, so I am at peace. All my seven titles are equally special for me. I have fought hard on the table for each one of them.

Who or what do you attribute your enormous concentration and inspiration and that lovely smile that has the girls swooning?

I guess God has been very kind. As for the girls, please show me where…

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009
An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

No comments: