Monday, September 07, 2009

The depiction of patriotism on the silver screen

One of the less important lessons from 26/11 is – preach what you create. Or shut up and don't bounce for nothing. Yet there are elements in the industry that truly believe in the spirit of patriotism. Says Preity Zinta, "My dad was in the army. And now my brother Dipankar is in the army. So I grew up in an atmosphere of soldierly pride. One of the perks of being an army child was that I got to do a bharat darshan early in my life. Every two years my father would get transferred, and we'd be in a different place. It was a great learning experience. The army is very close to my heart. When I was invited by NDTV to visit the jawans on the border I had myself a ball, re-living my army life” Adds JP Dutta, "My brother Deepak who died on duty was a squadron leader in the Air Force. In fact my very first film “Sarhad” starring Vinod Khanna which never got released was a tribute to my brother.

Since then subconsciously or consciously my war films “Border” and “LOC” have been dedicated to my brother's memory. Not a day goes by when we don’t think about him. I feel today's generation isn't motivated enough to join the army and the Air Force. Cinema such as mine and earlier the ones by Chetan Anand addressed the life of the soldiers and the futility of war. But these are themes that no longer attract young people. Sad.” Another army kid, Lara Dutta says, "Both my dad and sister are in the Air Force. They've have both led their respective contingents.” TV star Rajiv Khandelwal says, "My father was in the army. And my elder brother Col. Sanjeev Khandelwal is currently serving in the army. I was always tempted to be part of the army. But since bhai had already joined the armed services I was inclined to go ahead with my other passion, acting. I'd love to do a film about the army. I enjoyed playing Capt Rajveer in a TV serial. I wonder why the army isn't a sought-after vocation among youngsters today. Is the army losing its sheen or does patriotism no longer have buyers? I feel every student in college should be made to go through a stint in the army."

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source : IIPM Editorial, 2008

An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

No comments: