Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The prodigal daughter

Hindustani classical singer and adopted daughter of the Ustad, Soma Ghosh speaks fondly of the musical years with 'baba'…

When did you first meet the Ustad and how did a bond develop between the two of you?

I had invited Baba to attend a shraddhanjali of my gurumaa Late Bageshwari Devi on March 2, 2001 at ISKCON, to play the shehnai. As he came into the auditorium, he heard me singing from the corridor itself. He was highly moved by the true rendition of the Benarasi style, that he immediately announced that I was his daughter and that he would have jugalbandi recitals with me henceforth. He was so happy that he said, "after 50 years I have heard a voice as soulful as that of yesteryears singer Rasoolan Bai". He had stopped wearing his signature black topi for quite a few years. After that day he started to wear it again.

How did the Ustad’s family react to you?

I was introduced to Baba’s family, not only to his sons but also the girls who were asked to come out of their quarters. He asked them, “If I accept Soma as my daughter, does anyone have any objections?” No one had any and I was accepted as part of their family. I have established very good relations with the sons and the daughters. I am very close to his youngest son, Ustad Nazim Hussain, and his nephew, Ustad Mumtaz Hussain.

How was the Ustad as a teacher?

As a teacher he was very simple yet very profound. The most intricate concepts he showed by example and taught me the value of silence. There can be no greater musical magician than Baba for his asar or impact. I have not only learnt quite a lot of my art of music from him, but also learnt the art of living from Baba. Whatever I am today, is a blend of him and all that was me before I met him.

His sons have at times resented the fact that he preferred you over them and also that you derived undue mileage from your association with him. Comment.

He has been my father and they are my brothers. I would not like to say anything further. His sons have never complained directly to me about this and I have nothing to comment on this. On the contrary, they have always expressed great love and affection towards me.

You did even go to pay your last respects to his son Nayyar Khan who passed away in December last year.

At the time of Nayyar bhai’s death, tragedy struck my own family. My sister-in-law had met with an accident, suffered head injury and went into coma and expired after seven days. I could not personally speak with Nayyar bhai's wife, but had managed to speak to his younger brother, Nazim Hussain, and conveyed my condolences.

This again is a private grief, and I would not like to make a public show of it.

Where does the Ustad’s legacy stand today?

It is being splendidly taken forward by Ustad Mumtaz Hussain.

For Complete IIPM Article, Click on IIPM Article

Source :
IIPM Editorial, 2009


An IIPM and Professor Arindam Chaudhuri (Renowned Management Guru and Economist) Initiative

Read these article :-

No comments: